Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Viking Diamond Survey

I've been contemplating getting a new serger/coverstitch combo machine so I ran down to the Viking Husqvarna dealer in Yakima and checked out one I found great reviews on, a Viking/Husqvarna 936. While checking out the features of this pretty cool machine, the dealer invited me to a Viking Husqvarna Designer Diamond Survey. I had never heard of a "survey" which is a 4-hour class held at chosen dealers with a Viking educator from North Carolina and this machine is their top-of-the-line combo sewing and embroidery machine. It was free and I would get a $20 gift certificate for attending so I figured, sure, why not? I really don't know much about embroidery machines. But these machine have intrigued me for a few things like monograms, so I trekked on down to Yakima Monday afternoon and spent 4 hours in front of this machine and giggled over the fact that Debra, our Viking educator, was from N. Carolina but had the hardest New York accent you've ever heard. And she called me "Jamm-y" instead of Jami with the A being pronounced as an A. She had been giving classes and flying all over the country and was a bit rummy I think. It embarrassed her. She was fun.

So, this machine can sew anything, launder it, fold it and make coffee too. Well, not quite but you get my drift. Pretty fancy stuff there. Great deal on the price for those participating in the survey also....ahem...cough...sputter. A real steal at $6,999.99! They said the package deal they had was originally worth over $12,000. There was a $2,500 embroidery package included. Who spends $2,500 on embroidery designs? Holy cow. One very interesting comment the educator shared was that in Europe there are garment sewers but no market for these high-end fancy machines and the US is the biggest consumer of these embroidery machines. Well go figure...the biggest consumer country on earth gulping down $12,000 sewing machines like M & M's. We are truly a glutinous society here. Ya know? Oh well...I digress, back to my new love, the Diamond.

You may think that I ran out of the store with a new Viking Designer Diamond on some store credit card with one year same as cash instead of a 936 serger. But I was so proud of myself. I came out empty handed and didn't even purchase the serger either. I want to do some looking around and think on it for a while. It's a lot of money for a serger and I have one already. Old but it works. Doesn't do coverstitch though. For one thing, I am so over buying anything on credit. I did that in my younger years and I'm older and wiser now. No more. So, if I make some sales over the winter on sheep or crafty stuff/wool products, I will purchase the serger but the Diamond is just too over the top for me. It's just too extravagant. Now, all of this may change if I hit the Lotto. Ha!

OK, so what do you think about a sewing machine that costs that much? Do you just shake your head thinking of the prices and how they change them every few years so you'll upgrade to a flashier version of the old one with a few new bells and whistles? Do you think it's your only hobby so you're worth it? I'm just curious how some of you feel about being extravagant on something like this. Would you go into debt for one?

4 comments:

  1. If I (was insane and) bought a Viking Diamond, I'd be one of those gals who upgrades to the latest/greatest every time they called me. It would be awful. Not to mention what it was do to my marriage.

    My hobby is not worth $8K on one machine. I would not go into debt for it, either.

    That being said, I would never judge anyone who decided to plop down their money for a Diamond. It's just not for me.

    Look at it this way...even if you bought it and just kept it without upgrading...how many years would it take for the motherboard to fizzle and die on you? My friend owns a Pfaff 7570 and after 12 years, the motherboard died and it was going to cost her $700 to replace it. She originally paid $6000 for the machine to begin with! No way is that going to happen to me.

    I'll stick with the mechanicals and just live vicariously through you, Jami (with the long "a").

    Let me know when you bring that baby home. Sorry this is so long. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, girl! If I had money to throw at the wind, maybe but otherwise it's just not my style. I still wouldn't mind having a used embroidery machine but it has to be affordable so if it dies, I won't feel like all is lost.

    The serger is really what I'm wanting the most. It was just fun getting totally distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It only makes sense if you were going to make money with it...but you would really have to crunch the numbers. What could you make with it to sell at a high enough price and in a large enough quantity to justify it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I am with you on the number crunching and so far it's not panning out! : ) I'll tell you why I fell in love with the machine. They did the cutest lamb pillow I've ever seen with the ears and eyes and top portion of a lamb's head "peeking" over the edge of a pillowcase. It was so cute. Figures it all comes down to sheep again in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...