Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shearing 2010


Got behind in my blog posts. Been BUSYYYYY. Sheared the flock, went on a sewing extravaganza girls getaway and then an anniversary trip to Port Townsend over the weekend. It's the calm before the storm of lambing when I am homebound and can't go anywhere for a while. Great fun though! Oh, and a first birthday for my nephew, River, too! Gosh, it was just too much fun.


I have pics from shearing. Martin is a great shearer. Now I have 50 fleeces in the garage waiting for some attention. They are bagged and labeled but not skirted or washed yet. If anyone wants to purchase a fleece, now is the time before I put too much time into them. You can do the work and get a very good deal. $20 each, I'll quick skirt them and you can do the tedious stuff. They seem very clean to me with not nearly as much vegetable matter as you might think. 
BEFORE

STERLING WATCHING OVER HIS GIRLS


THE DREADED MACHINE!!!!

MARTIN DOING HIS THANG
NOW THAT WASN'T SO BAD WAS IT?




6 comments:

  1. Ha...love the 'after' Hey somebody shut the window, I feel a draft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dog . He looks so cute in with the sheep. I shear in the fall where we live it keeps the fleeces for spinning, cleaner through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami, your ewes are so pretty. Are you keeping any of the wool this year? How was the wool on your new boy, the southdown?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarita! So great to hear from you. The SD wool was so so-so as he was slick sheared in July when we bought him. He didn't have a year's growth. It went into the wool pool bag. I am keeping only the Coopworth wool this year, just about 8 fleeces? The rest is going to the pool in June, and all bagged up. When I get my BL ram I'll have replacement ewes out of him, the BL/Coop crosses and then I'll keep all of those. Plus, I'm going to start coating these wooly girls. I'm tired of spending hours cleaning fleeces, just don't have the patience for it nor the back anymore.
    I really like my sheep but I kind of like all sheep, well almost all anyhow! : )
    Great day to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin:
    I am contemplating starting a fall shearing this year! For the same reasons as you. I've just not bitten the bullet yet to give up a clip for a short-year's growth. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Janet....brrrr! I love seeing sheep that have just been shorn!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...